
We have three toy boxes:
one for the rubber "outside" toys, one for "inside" fuzzy-squeaky toys, and one for dental bones, etc.
For cleaning the outside toys, I have always washed them with hot soapy water and a bit of bleach.
For inside toys, I toss them in the washing machine with laundry detergent. Then let them tumble dry in a hot temperature for a short while. Keep a very close eye on the drying, as there are those little plastic squeakers inside many of the toys.
Now for the bones & kongs, that we use to stuff with peanut butter or cheese, I have been washing in hot soapy water. Then I do a second wash with vinegar and water.
At dog kennels where I have worked, the rubber toys, balls, and kongs have been cleaned using bleach. But I have heard that this may not be the best option.
FYI, according to Eco Dog, you want to completely avoid cleaning products with phenol and cresol , which are both toxic compounds. The book also has recipes for home cleaning products.
I would really LOVE to hear what others recommend, and any other helpful information. Please leave a comment if you have any tips you would like to share.
Also, I am on the search for the best pet friendly cleaning products, floor cleaners, disenfects, tub cleaner, etc. We will appreciate any leads.